Wednesday, March 19, 2014

March 3, 2014

¡Hola!

Oh boy, this week was so great. I have lots of awesome stories to tell you when I get home! Well- I think when I get back I'm going to sleep for like a week straight. But then we can talk haha. 

On Monday night we celebrated Rubí's birthday, taught a really great lesson about the restoration with a less active family, and had FHE with another. 

On Tuesday, we received a call from the doctor that they found a tumor in one of the ultrasounds my companion took last week. That was really tough news, because we thought for sure that if nothing else- she would at least be sent home for surgery. We got a few good lessons in and then drove the hour to the mission home in Arcadia to break the news to our mission president. We ended up meeting with his wife instead and she just went crazy; she's like a mom to us. But we got another call the next day that it's just a water packet thing that she needs to take vitamin c and folic acid to get rid of? I don't know, but it was a huge relief. 

On Wednesday, we drove back to Arcadia though to get me certified to drive because she's still really lightheaded. That didn't take long, then we contacted referrals and proselyted on Facebook before our dinner appointment. After dinner we got in four full lessons to different families- which was such a blessing! 

On Thursday, we had our last district meeting before transfers- so we took pictures and went out to eat together afterwards. After that we were going to teach one of our investigators but her son was home instead, so we got a new investigator! His name is Juan and he's so eager to learn. Then we watched the Finding Faith in Christ video with another investigator, taught Rubí her daily lesson, and knocked the door of an older entry in the area book. A 13 year old boy (José) answered and his face just lit up! He gave us big hugs (so not allowed) and pulled out his Libro de Mormón and said "I still have it sisters". Apparently he had been taught awhile ago and has been wanting to learn more since then. It's hard to teach the mom and son at the same time because she speaks only Spanish and he speaks only English. Could you imagine not being able to communicate with your own mom?! So Hna Angula would teach and I translated to José. Before we left I invited him to be baptized- he hesitated so I told him he should pray about it and give us an answer next time we come. But I know he will. We had two more lessons after that with less actives- they went way better than normal because we were still radiating with the Spirit that came from the lesson with José. 

On Fridays we have to do weekly planning, which takes a few hours minimum. We pray for our investigator's needs individually and plan what we want to teach them for the next week. But it was perfect because it poured ALL DAY. We were soaking wet for every lesson- which honestly got us a lot of pity points haha. We taught a couple discussions and then went to Héctor and Maryuri's house. Claudia gave us leche y galletas- which is really just hot milk with oogobs of sugar in it and cookies. Our dinner appointment was right after that though, and we were so sick with how much food we had to eat haha. Then we picked up a member for Rubí's lesson.

On Saturday we were supposed to go to the temple with Rubí and Uriel but he never came home- total bummer!  We had our dinner appointment with a lady in her 80s- I showed her family pictures and she talked about how handsome Dad is for ten minutes haha. Then we had a surprise girl's night with a less active woman who has very low self-esteem and usually doesn't go to church because she feels too ugly. We brought the Restoration video and curled her hair and painted her nails while she watched it. She couldn't stop looking in the mirror afterwards haha! We had a correlation with the ward mission leader after that and then waited by our phones for transfer calls! Only one elder in my district is leaving.

Today (because I'm writing this Sunday night) was an amazing day! I didn't get to bear my testimony in sacrament because so many people wanted to, but I did last month so that's fine. Oh ps I'm the pianist at church because no one else can read music- you'd be proud haha. After church we had a ward lunch to break our fast. I ate quickly so I could take a 20 minute nap to get rid of my migraine before our first appointment. We visited one of our investigators and found that she was moving everything from her house to her van- she told us the government is taking her house for lack of payment. She had a baptism date set, but she'll be living out of her car with no address or phone so we can't keep teaching her. That was rough.. my companion cried and cried when we left her house. We had a dinner appointment with a member, lesson with Rubí, and stopped by to set more appointments for the week. Then we got to teach our two new investigators that I told you abut last week- Asalia and Isaías. We talked about how the only thing holding them back is that they both work on Sundays, and we got them to agree to pray about it and ask for Sundays off.

So yeah, that was my week! I don't know if I told you yet but the set date that I'll be home is June 6th! I'm 1/6 done my mission already, how crazy is that?

Well, I love y'all very much! 

Hermana Beckett

No comments:

Post a Comment